Man kills co-worker, then himself, at home depot

| 28 Jan 2015 | 11:36

    An employee at a Home Depot store in Manhattan argued with a co-worker before fatally shooting him and then killing himself on Sunday, police said, sending panicked workers and shoppers rushing to get away from the gunfire.

    The 31-year-old man entered the store on West 23rd Street around 2:45 p.m. He exchanged words with a 38-year-old co-worker in the store’s lighting section and then pulled out a gun, shooting the other man in the abdomen and chest, police said. The man was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

    The gunman then shot himself in the head, said New York Police Department Capt. Steven Wren. It was unclear what the argument was about, and no identifications were released. A gun was recovered at the scene.

    Wren said about 70 employees were in the store, but no one else was injured.

    Sigourney Rodriguez, who works nearby, was taking a cigarette break when she saw about 100 people running out of the store. “You hear gunshots, you’re going to run,” she said.

    Rodriguez heard store employees saying, “He’s dead, I tell you he’s dead.”

    The Home Depot, though smaller than a suburban outpost of the chain, is a megastore by Manhattan standards, and popular with many neighborhood residents.

    “This is a beautiful neighborhood and a great store,” said Sara Vogeler, who lives on the next block. “We just bought our Christmas lights here not too long ago. It’s shocking!”

    Home Depot issued a statement saying, “We’re deeply saddened by this tragedy. We are fully cooperating with the authorities on their investigation of what appears to have been an isolated incident.”

    Into the Ether

    A shoplifter netted an Ethernet card illegally. At 11 a.m. on Tuesday, January 20, an unknown perpetrator entered the AT&T store at 265 W. 81st Street and made off with an Ethernet card valued at $1,500. Unfortunately, the incident was not captured on video.

    Apples of Her Eye

    One mother faced a Sophie’s choice: attending to her baby or her laptop. At 3 p.m. on Monday, January 19, a 39-year-old woman laid her laptop down on a table inside 1941 Broadway while she was feeding her baby. When she next looked for her laptop, it was gone. The stolen laptop was an Apple MacBook Pro valued at $5,000.

    Yoga Didn’t Work

    Karma caught up with a burglar. A 34-year-old man was arrested after breaking into the Yoga Works at 37 W. 65th Street and stealing $100 from the cash register. The event took place at 8 a.m. on Friday, January 16.

    Parking Break

    A 41-year-old female motorist learned the hard way why it pays to strip your parked car before thieves can. At 10 p.m. on Thursday, January 15, an unknown perpetrator smashed the rear window of the woman’s 2014 Honda parked at 63rd Street and Columbus Avenue and stole $1,200 worth of property from inside the car.

    Scarfed Up

    Two shoplifters found an illegal way to stay warm. At 3 p.m. on Friday, January 16, a woman and a man, both aged 20, made off with $1,300 worth of scarves from the Burberry store at 160 Columbus Avenue. Video is available of the theft.