For more than 10 years, the West Side Spirit has recognized the exceptional contributions of Upper West Siders with the WESTY (The West Side Spirit Thanks You) Awards. On Tuesday, April 16th, 12 WESTY's were presented to a dynamic mix of individuals representing the best of the UWS: a U.S. Congressman, a police commander, a minister, two family-owned local businesses, a health-care professional, a city council member, the directors of three local cultural organizations, and the leaders of a business improvement district and a preservation non-profit.
A happy crowd of friends and family gathered at the W83 event space and joined the honorees for a reception and the presentation of the awards, which was emceed by NY1's Kristen Shaughnessy.
The awardees and their guests were also joined by elected officials from the Upper West Side. In addition to City Council Member Mark Levine and U.S. Rep. Jerrold Nadler — who were honored at the event — the West Side Spirit welcomed NY State Senator Brad Hoylman, NY State Assemblymember Dick Gottfried, NY State Assemblymember Daniel O'Donnell, NY State Assemblymember Linda B. Rosenthal, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer and City Council Member Helen Rosenthal.
Above all, thank you to the 2019 WESTY recipients:
• Barbara Adler, Columbus Ave. BID
• Nathalie le Douraron Cadou and Loic Cadou, La Mirabelle
• Marie Carmel Garcon, Columbia School of Nursing
• Sean Khorsandi, Landmark West!
• Kathy Landau, Symphony Space
• Mark Levine, NY City Council
• Norma Levy, New Plaza Cinema
• Deputy Inspector Timothy J. Malin, NYPD
• Rep. Jerrold Nadler, U.S. Congress
• Liana Pai, Liana
• Eduardo Vilaro, Ballet Hispanico
• The Rev. Schuyler Vogel, Fourt Universalist Society